Monday 5 November 2012

November Hymn - Blessed Assurance

We've been listening to the hymn Blessed Assurance this month, although I heard my youngest belting out 'Blessed Insurance' earlier this week.
The words are by Fanny Crosby, a prolific hymn writer of the 19th century (she wrote about 9,000 hymns!) The wrong treatment for an eye condition when she was a baby left her permanently blind in both eyes.
'Fanny Crosby, Queen of Gospel Songs' by Rebecca Davis is a good book about her for a younger reader (around 6 to 9 years of age) to read for themselves.




1.                 Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
                    O what a foretaste of glory divine!
                    Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
                    Born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.
Refrain:
                    This is my story, this is my song,
                    Praising my Savior all the day long;
                    This is my story, this is my song,
                    Praising my Savior all the day long.

2.                 Perfect submission, perfect delight,
                    Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
                    Angels descending bring from above
                    Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

                    (Refrain)

3.                 Perfect submission, all is at rest;
                    I in my Savior am happy and blest,
                    Watching and waiting, looking above,
                    Filled with his goodness, lost in his love.

                    (Refrain)

1 comment:

Joyfulmum said...

lol at "Blessed Insurance" :)
cool I'll have to keep an eye out for that book on her for my dd.