Wednesday 30 December 2015

2016 European Reading Challenge

Can't help myself...




I saw this challenge and decided some of the titles I've picked for other 2016 challenges would qualify. I'll possibly also add a couple of children's books set in Europe that I've been wanting to read.
For the details, and to sign up, see Rose City Reader.  Basically you read books by authors from any of these European countries, or books set in these countries:

Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City.
 

The idea is to 'tour' Europe but you may read just one book or as many as you like, although each book must be by a different author and set in a different country. This means that only one book from one of the four UK countries will count.
I'll be deciding on my books throughout the year and will add them here as I go, with links to my reviews/thoughts on them but these are some I have in mind:


Greece - Decision at Delphi by Helen MacInnes
Austria - The Third Man by Graham Greene
France - I Will Repay by Baroness Orczy
Germany - All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
Netherlands - The Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
Turkey - The Road From Home by David Kheridian
Czech Republic - The Metamorphosis by Frank Kafka
Russia - Russia's Man of Steel by Albetrt Marrin
Poland - The Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P. Kelly
Hungary - Dangerous Journey by Laszlo Hamori
Finland - Mercy at Midnight by Lois Hoadley Dick



8 comments:

Blossom Barden (NorthLaurel) said...

Oooh, an interesting challenge. I decided to do the Back to the Classics challenge and so there are 12 books on my TBR pile. Not nearly enough. But first, I suppose I should go look at the actual challenge... :)

Carol said...

I was surprised I read as many books as I did in 2015, probably because most of them were spread throughout the year & it didn't feel overwhelming. I'll be over to check out your book choices but I'm worried you might give me some more ideas...

Unknown said...

Very neat, Carol! :)

Silvia said...

Love that!
I am reading one that fits, The Pledge, Swiss author and place.

Melissa said...

Oh, that's interesting Carol! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to consider it.

Many blessings in the New Year!

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Welcome to the challenge! I'm a Helen MacInnes fan, so am pleased to see she made your list. Happy reading!

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

You have exceeded the highest level, so congratulations on finishing! Although you may still be reading for the prize.

If you are done, I don't know if you linked this post to the wrap up page (http://www.rosecityreader.com/2015/12/2016-european-reading-challenge-wrap-up.html). If you did, thank you and I apologize. I had a problem and lost all the links. Please visit the page again and re-link your post.

If you had not posted your link on the wrap up page, please do when you finish.

Carol said...

Thanks for the reminder Gilion, I hadn't linked yet.