Wednesday 22 November 2017

The Official 2018 TBR Pile Challenge




Adam @ Roof Beam Reader is bringing back his TBR Pile reading challenge in 2018. To enter choose 12 previously unread books (plus two alternative titles) that have been sitting on your shelf for at least a year and post them on a Master List.
Then read and review (this doesn't have to be fancy) and update your Master List as you finish each review.
Crossovers from other challenges are acceptable, as long as you have never read the book before and it was published before 2017!

You have until January 15th, 2018 to post your complete and final list on your blog

For more details see here.

My 2018 TBR Pile Challenge List:

1) The Rosemary Tree by Elizabeth Goudge (1956)
2) The Refugees by A. Conan Doyle (1892)
3) The Gulag Archipelago by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (1973)
4) Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis (1955)
5) School Education by Charlotte E. Mason (1925)
6) The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki (1948)
7) The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (1898) 
8) In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden (1969)
9) The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis (1942)
10) And Then There Were None
by Agatha Christie (1939)
11)
Sick Heart River by John Buchan (1941)
12) Anna Karenina
by Leo Tolstoy (1877)

Alternative titles:

Unnatural Death
by Dorothy L. Sayers (1927)
Hiroshima
by John Hersey (1946)

(Subject to change up until the 15th January...)









18 comments:

NancyElin said...

Some great books on your TBR!
Hiroshima is on mine as well!

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

I have read 3, 4, 5, and 12, and they are all on the top of my list as memorable or important reads. I was supposed to read #7 this year, but uh, I don't know what happened. I just know both 1953 and 2005 film versions scared me to death.

Marian H said...

Oooh, so exciting to see The Refugees on your list! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who's read it. ;)

If you don't happen to enjoy The War of the Worlds, I hope it doesn't put you off Wells. I have to say, it was my least favorite of his sci-fi hits. But The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, and The Island of Dr. Moreau are really good.

Brian Joseph said...

This is a great idea for a challenge. With that, I have long ago given up any hope of finishing my TBR.

I look forward to reading your upcoming commentary on these books. I highly recommend War of the Worlds. Hiroshima is also a very worthy and important read but it was disturbing.

Carol said...

I've been planning to read this book for I don't know how long now!

Carol said...

I was going to read it this year, too, but it went by the wayside. I wouldn't attempt to watch the movie versions - I don't handle that sort of visual stuff well. I was tossing up between W of W & The Island of Dr. Moreau...will see how I feel later when i finalise my list.

Carol said...

Hi Marian, I bought The Refugees ages ago because I really enjoy his historical fiction but then I got sidetracked with Sherlock Holmes. Intersting that War of Worlds was the book you liked the least. I haven't read any of his work yet.

Carol said...

Ha ha! Yes, it's not likely I'd ever get to the end of mine but I do need to do something about it!
War of the Worlds will be an interesting read judging by the various opinions I've read about it.

hopeinbrazil said...

Sounds like a great year of reading!

Michele Morin said...

Wow, I hadn't heard about this challenge, but one book I know for sure that has been sitting on my Kindle-shelf for a long time and that I want to tackle in 2018 is Orthodoxy by Chesterton.
You've got a great year of reading ahead of you!

Carol said...

:) No doubt I'll add more but these were mostly books I'd said I wanted to read this time last year!

Carol said...

Orthodoxy & The Everlasting Man are two Chesterton books I've wanted to read for some time. I didn't include them on this list as I know they'll take some heavy duty thought to get through & I already have a couple of other very slow reads I want to finish before I tackle anything else that requires much brain. Will be interested to read you thoughts on that one.

Cori said...

Great list! I'd like to read And Then There were None as Well. I read the Murder on the Orient Express this year and loved it, so I will try to tackle another book I've been wanting to read of hers.

Carol said...

I’m a late comer to Christie. When I picked up a couple of her books a long time ago I wasn’t that enamoured & gave her a miss but I’ve read a few of her books in recent times& thought they were great.

Roof Beam Reader said...

Ah, I really should get to The Gulag Archipelago at some point. The War of the Worlds is pretty simplistic by today's standards, but when putting it into context... what a creation! I really enjoyed Anna Karenina ("enjoy" might not be the right term, considering the subject matter, but oh well) and And Then There Were None is a personal favorite - I've read it 3 times. Looking forward to your thoughts on all of these!

Carol said...

I’m looking forward to reading them. Thanks for the challenge.

Darlene @ Lost in Literature said...

I'm reading Anna Karenina now, and you've piqued my interest for In This House of Brede. I definitely need to read more C. S. Lewis too!
Happy Reading!

Carol said...

I’ve wanted to read something by Tolstoy for so long & AK is the only book I have by him. I’ve just put it off because of its length.