Wednesday 18 September 2013

Wednesday with Words



Temptation (Oswald Chambers)

A man's disposition on the inside, i.e. what he possesses in his personality, determines what he is tempted by on the outside. The temptation fits the nature of the one tempted, and reveals the possibilities of the nature. Every man has the setting of his own temptation, and the temptation will come along the line of the ruling disposition.

Temptation is a suggested shortcut to the realisation of the highest at which I aim - not towards what I understand as evil, but towards what I understand as good.


My battles with temptation mainly centre around self-interest, a sense of 'my rights,' or my own self advancement in some form or another - although it isn't obvious to me when I'm in the middle of the struggle,  but afterwards I know that sinking sense that I yielded to sin.

Temptation is something that completely baffles me for a while, I do not know whether the thing is right or wrong.

These words of Oswald Chambers were illuminating for me in understanding temptation. The definition of the word baffle is very interesting in the light of his statement because obvious sin is something a Christian would hopefully avoid.

To baffle: to mock or elude by shifts and turns; hence to defeat, or confound; to practice deceit.

What I often struggle with is the fact that I just can't discern whether the thing is right or wrong - I shift and turn - but my ruling disposition chooses a particular way and for me it means I have yielded to temptation.
I've tried to take a shortcut to take hold of something I'm not yet ready for.

Temptation yielded to is lust deified...(lust = I must have it at once).

God does not save us from temptations; He succours us in the midst of them.



5 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Wow! I need to start reading Chambers again. Connecting temptation with shortcuts and goodness is so helpful. A friend's mom once explained that as we get older it isn't choosing between the "good and bad" it is trying to discern between "the good and the best" that is the struggle. The definition of baffle is also enlightening. Thanks for this post - lots to consider.

Cindy said...

This is really, really helpful.

"Temptation is something that completely baffles me for a while, I do not know whether the thing is right or wrong."

This is so true and surprising to read.

Carol said...

The shortcut connection was helpful to me also; so didn't you say you were going to start blogging??

Carol said...

I was surprised to read it too, but in the light of my experience it made perfect sense.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol, Oh I know, I am so going to try those stone place mats :)
Hope you have a Blessed week...