Thursday 24 November 2016

Those who would see wonderful things must often be ready to travel alone...

Our Advent Reading



'...But his friends looked on with strange and alien eyes. A veil of doubt and mistrust came over their faces, like a fog creeping up from the marshes to hide the hills. They glanced at each other with looks of wonder and pity, as those who have listened to incredible sayings, the story of a wild vision, or the proposal of an impossible enterprise.

At last Tigranes said: "Artaban, this is a vain dream. It comes from too much looking upon the stars and the cherishing of lofty thoughts..."

But Abgarus, the oldest and the one who loved Artaban the best, lingered after the others had gone, and said, gravely: "My son, it may be that the light of truth is in this sign that has appeared in the skies, and then it will surely lead to the Prince and the mighty brightness. Or it may be that it is only a shadow of the light, as Tigranes has said, and then he who follows it will have only a long pilgrimage and an empty search. But it is better to follow even the shadow of the best than to remain content with the worst. And those who would see wonderful things must often be ready to travel alone. I am too old for this journey, but my heart shall be a companion of the pilgrimage day and night, and I shall know the end of thy quest. Go in peace."'



We started this story this morning and later in the day Moozle was finishing up the last couple of chapters from her AO Year 6 free read 'The Story of the Trapp Family Singers' by Maria Augusta Trapp. She suddenly called out to me, "Come quick, and see this Mum!" I thought perhaps she'd seen a wallaby or a bird outside but when I went to where she was, she held up her book opened at the last page to show me these words:

Whatever faults may be committed, big or small, whatever clouds may pile up on the horizon, dark and threatening, love will overcome all.

"Who seeks for heaven alone to save his soul,
May keep the path, but will not reach the goal;
While he who walks in love may wander far,
Yet God will bring him where the blessed are." *

* From the Story of the Other Wise Man by Henry Van Dyke.

I love it when this sort of thing happens!



6 comments:

Silvia said...

What inspiring quotes and moment!
As I'm editing Mind to Mind, I came to this passage that I think you'd appreciate:

A small English boy of nine living in Japan, remarked, “Isn’t it fun, Mother, learning all these things? Everything seems to fit into something else.” The boy had not found out the whole secret; everything fitted into something within himself.

It's wonderful to see you both partaking of that secret.

Cleo said...

Just the kind of quote I need to hear lately, so thanks! :-) I've read The Other Wise Man, but I didn't remember that quote.

Carol said...

I do appreciate it, Silvia. Lovely, and thanks for taking the time to share it. X

Carol said...

You're welcome :)

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

We discovered The Story of the Other Wise Man about 3 years ago, and we've read it every Christmas since. :)

What a sweet surprise to get to share an inspiring quote with your girl. I'm always sharing favorite quotes with my kids, but I feel that I don't get the favor returned very often. I hope it will happen more as the years go by.

Carol said...

Well that's a good sign. I just commented on Brandy's Afterthoughts blog where she said they will be reading The Christmas Mystery for the third time.
It was a sweet surprise - it's lovely when they pick up on these things withoput prompting. I'm usually the one that's a bit thick & need things to be pointed out :)